Friday, July 1, 2011

when it's hot, fire up the grill

So my 21 year old central air finally died. It's been a hot week inside and out. So, we've kept the blinds closed and spent most of our time in the basement where it's significantly cooler.

In an attempt to make meals that don't require heating the house, we enjoyed some tasty dinners the last couple of nights.

(1) Barbeque Chicken, Baked Potatoes, and French Bread:

First thing in the morning, I put 6 chicken breasts in a tupperware and covered them with Catalina dressing. I squeezed a few tablespoons of lime juice on top and marinated all day.

I then scrubbed and poked red potatoes, wrapped them in aluminum foil, and put them in the crock pot on low. When it was time for dinner, Jeremy grilled the chicken along with a loaf of garlic bread while I made a green salad and my 8 year old made some grape juice. It was a fabulous, filling dinner!

(2) Ranch Cheeseburgers

1 packet (1 oz) Ranch Salad Dressing Mix (I used the Walmart store brand)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated

Combine dressing mix with beef and cheese. Shape into patties, refrigerate 30 minutes (or so). Serve on toasted buns.

I doubled the recipe, naturally. The burgers were TASTY with crisp lettuce and a tomato, ketchup and ranch dressing. We also had one of our favorites, Yellow Jello (made first thing in the morning, although it only takes about 4 hours to set up), and chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment